How to Start or Develop
a Small Business in Oregon
Looking For Advice on Starting a Business?
The Ashland Chamber is grateful for a wonderful relationship with the Southern Oregon University, Small Business Development Center. They offer courses, training, resources, programs and business advisors to help you with starting a business or growing your existing business. The SOU SBDC provides a full range of services and information for small businesses of all types and is a resource team that can help you in many ways. And, they’ve been helping new and existing business owners for more than 30 years.
- Before starting a business or investing money in one:
- Evaluate the idea for your business by researching similar businesses
- Do a self-assessment of your abilities and determine where your skills are strongest and where you need to learn more
- Research the market and your potential customers
- Do a financial analysis on the feasibility of your business venture
- Write a basic business plan
The 19 SBDCs in Oregon offer assistance with the above areas—and much more. A smart, “first step,” is a no-cost meeting with one of the knowledgeable business advisors.
For Business Planning information from the Small Business Administration, click here”